An exotic tale of remembered passion.
“Very early in my life it was too late.”
In 1984 the great French novelist Marguerite Duras wrote the story of her own youth in Vietnam, a personal truth told in passionate, vivid fragments. These incandescent glimpses of remembrance became one of the most acclaimed and widely read books of modern French literature.
Now three of Scotland’s major performing arts companies are collaborating in theatre and dance to bring her story to the stage; taking us back to 1929 when a fifteen year old girl crossing the Mekong Delta first catches the attention of an older Chinese man and accepts a ride in his chauffeured limousine. She has no idea how this chance meeting will change her life forever.
50 years on, looking back on their illicit affair which flared and died, she finds the intensity of her first love still burning bright in her memory. It illuminates a past fraught with the confusions of the lovers’ ruthless desire, her own dysfunctional family and the divisive colonial culture which pulled them all apart.
This unique collaboration between ourselves, The Royal Lyceum Theatre and Scottish Dance Theatre brings this exotic tale of remembered passion to new life in an original stage adaption by our own award-winning director Jemima Levick and visionary choreographer Fleur Darkin.
Fusing spoken word, music and evocative dance, this production promises to be an irresistible blast of sensual heat for the dark days of January.
Watch Fleur Darkin & Jemima Levick discuss their process for adapting Duras’ books for the stage.
Images © Mihaela Bodlovic
- January 17, 2018Scotsman preview – Fleur Darkin & Jemima Levick on blending theatre & dance in their production of The Lover
- January 14, 2018Stephen McGinty, Sunday Times, chats to Fleur Darkin & Jemima Levick in rehearsal
- January 10, 2018Neil Cooper of The Herald meets Jemima Levick & Fleur Darkin in rehearsal
- September 29, 2017Audition opportunity with Stellar Quines, Scottish Dance Theatre and Royal Lyceum Theatre
- April 27, 2017Exciting new collaboration announced as part of The Lyceum season launch