Rehearsal Room Number 0712-14 February, 2004
Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh
Perfect Pie by Judith Thompson, The Unconquered by Torben Betts, The Past is not a Place by Beatrice Colin
- Perfect Pie – Geraldine Fitzgerald, Abby Ford, Agatha Keegan, Mary Keegan
- The Past is not a Place – James Bryce, Gowan Calder, Vicki Liddelle, Alexandra Mathie, Habib Nasib Nader, Gareth Thomas
- The Unconquered – Richard Latham, Alexandra Mathie, Patrick Moy, Kirstin Murray, Clare Yuille
- 12 February – Rehearsed reading of Perfect Pie.
- 13 February – Rehearsed reading of The Past is not a Place.
- 14 February – Rehearsed reading of The Unconquered.
Perfect Pie by Canadian playwright Judith Thompson is a play about childhood, friendship and old secrets. While Patsy married a prosperous farmer and stayed in the town she grew up in, wild-child Francesca followed the lights of the big city and became an actor. As they revisit their less-than-carefree childhoods, the two girls – now women – confront the choices they have made and a past secret.
The Past is not a Place. When three female journalists arrive at a health spa on an isolated island, they expect a few days of relaxing detoxification. But this is not ordinary holiday destination, as they quickly discover. As lust, regret and betrayal all threaten to crack their fragile equilibrium, the women come face to face with what brought them there and why.
The Unconquered is both contemporary satire and a piece of absurd theatre. A meditation on the self’s struggle against the authoritarian state, on the meaning of community and revolution, it stars a fiercely intelligent young schoolgirl who has barricaded herself away from a political and cultural system that she despises.
Perfect Pie was produced by Stellar Quines in the spring of 2006 and marked actress Maureen Beattie’s second outing as a director.
The Unconquered was produced by Stellar Quines in spring 2007 and re-mounted in spring 2008 for a second tour, which culminated in a run as part of 59E59 Theaters’ ‘Brits off Broadway’ Festival in New York.