Creative Internship: Project Coordinator: Knit Two Together
From w/c 25 March 2013 for 13 weeks, 35 hours per week, £6.19 per hour
Based at the Stellar Quines office, 30b Grindlay Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9AX
About Creative Internships
The Creative Interns programme is a partnership between SCVO, Creative Scotland and the Scottish Government. It is designed to give young, unemployed creative industries graduates an opportunity to develop skills within the workplace.
This position is only available through the Creative Interns programme. Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria and application can only be made via your local Jobcentre Plus personal adviser.
In order to apply for this Creative Internship you must:
- Be aged 24 or younger
- Hold a SCQF Level 8+ qualification related to the arts or creative industries (equivalent to an HND, first degree, SVQ Level 4 or above)
- Be unemployed
- Be referred by Jobcentre Plus (who will take you through the full eligibility test and refer you)
About this Internship
This is an exciting paid internship opportunity for anyone interested in a career in the arts or project management to work with a Scottish theatre company in the delivery of a Heritage Lottery funded project. The intern will be attached to Knit Two Together, a partnership project with Heart of Hawick. The project champions the female stories intertwined with the Scottish Borders’ knitting and textile heritage and combines events, new writing and oral history.
Main tasks include:
- Assisting with the marketing and promotion of the project. This will include on the ground work such as contacting local knitting circles and online tasks such as maintaining a social media presence for the project.
- Helping to manage the events attached to this project. This will include liaising with the venue, speakers, public etc.
- Assisting in generating and managing content that will form a digital archive of the project. This will include promoting the archive and encouraging as many people as possible to share their stories, memories and associations with knitting on it.
- Reporting back to the rest of the Stellar Quines team on the progress of the project and inputting ideas on how to increase its impact and reach.
If appropriate, there could be opportunities to get involved with more general tasks associated with the company’s wider work.
Through this project the skills and experience the intern will gain include:
- Project management. This will include budget management, an understanding of setting and achieving project milestones and working within funder’s guidelines.
- Event management. This will include developing a working understanding of contracts, fees, related paperwork etc.
- Marketing and audience engagement. This will include understanding how audiences are reached, potentially gain an understanding of data projection issues when gathering information from the public etc.
- How to archive testimonies and material gathered through a project and any related IP or copyright issues around this.
- Web management skills. How to upload text, images and potentially film clips onto a project specific website.
This internship will involve some travel to the Border’s especially Hawick where the events will take place. Travel will either be via public transport (bus) or a shared car. The intern will not be expected to drive and travel expenses will be paid.
Stellar Quines’ is looking for someone who is:
- Highly organised
- A good communicator
- A people person and team player
- Possess a sound understanding of social media
- Possess good writing and research skills
Although not essentail, we would be interested to hear from anyone who:
- Can knit
- Has an interest in theatre and new writing
- Can edit in iMovie
You will work 35 hours per week, 10am – 6pm, Monday – Friday.
There will be occasional evening events to attend in the Borders. Stellar Quines would expect this to be part of the intern’s working hours and time off in lieu will be awarded.
For more information about Stellar Quines see the ‘About’ section of our website.
How to apply for this Internship
This position is only available through the Creative Interns programme. Application can only be made via your local Jobcentre Plus personal adviser. Please let them know that you would like to apply and they will provide full details of how to submit an application.
Closing date for applications is Friday 15 March 2013 at 5pm. Interviews will be held in Edinburgh on Wednesday 20 March 2013.
For further information, please contact Lesley Anne Rose email@example.com or call 0131 229 3851