Stellar Quines is committed to championing the voices of women and girls in the twenty first century.
If you are a writer…
We seek to produce diverse and far-reaching work and while new plays are not the only work we will produce, see new writing as an essential ingredient of our programme. It is our aim to produce a programme of work that is exciting, challenging and relevant to our audiences. We recognise that new plays are essential to the progress and wellbeing of contemporary theatre; they assess and reflect the world we live in and sharpen our engagement with new ideas and world events.
We hope to inspire the writers that work with us to be courageous, passionate and theatrically ambitious.
We are a small company and are currently undergoing a period of change following the departure of previous Artistic Director Muriel Romanes. In order for us to utilise our resources and to support writers in the best ways possible, Stellar Quines is not able to accept unsolicited scripts. As time goes on, we hope to change this and look forward to a period in which we can invite artists of many disciplines to engage with us through targeted projects and activities. Please do keep an eye on our website and social media channels for notifications about potential projects up coming.
If you have an unsolicited script you would like to send to a theatre because you are looking for production or for feedback, we recommend you contact the following organisations:
- Playwright’s Studio Scotland
- The Traverse Theatre
- The National Theatre of Scotland
- New Writing North
- Paines Plough
- Hampstead Theatre
- The Bush
- The Royal Court
- Soho Theatre
We encourage (but are not exclusive about) artists who identify as female, are Scottish or are based in Scotland and are from under represented backgrounds.
STELLAR QUINES COMMISSIONS
Since its inception the company has commissioned the writing, adaptation or translation of the following plays:
- The Air that Carries the Weight by Rebecca Sharp
- Threads by Sylvia Dow
- A translation of The Deliverance written by Jennifer Tremblay, translated by Shelley Tepperman
- Dare to Care written by Christine Lindsay
- A translation of A Live Bird in the Mouth written by Jeanne-Mance Delisle, translated by Martin Bowman
- Ana written by Clare Duffy and Pierre Yves Lemieux
- Constantina written by Torben Betts
- An adaptation of The Girls of Slender Means by Muriel Spark for the stage, adapted by Judith Adams
- The Girl Who Insisted She Wasn’t written by Ariadne Cass
- The Past Is Not a Place written by Beatrice Colin
- The Unconquered written by Torben Betts
- Sweet Fanny Adams in Eden written by Judith Adams
- Red Priest written by Grace Barnes
- A translation of The Reel of the Hanged Man written by Jeanne-Mance Delisle, translated by Martin Bowman and Bill Findlay
- Learning The Paso Doble written by Dilys Rose
- Refuge written by Janet Paisley