The Air That Carries the Weight
World premiere of new play by Rebecca Sharp, directed by Muriel Romanes.
A journey of friendship, digging and reconciliation transcending time and space.
Isobel is summoned to a cottage in Argyll, which she inherits following the sudden death of her childhood friend, Yvonne. While sorting through Yvonne’s collection of books, objects and writings, she discovers her interest in Scottish writer and archaeologist Marion Campbell, and her novel The Dark Twin.
Guided by Yvonne and Marion, Isobel journeys through memories, signs and stories to reach the truth Yvonne discovered before she died.
This new play by Rebecca Sharp layers reality and fantasy through immersive writing, design, lighting and original music.
The Air That Carries the Weight was presented at a Rehearsal Room in 2014 at the Traverse Theatre along with Rebecca Sharp’s companion piece Little Forks. The Play received it’s World Premiere in March 2016 at the Traverse, Edinburgh.
Find out more about the work of Rebecca Sharp. Supported by the Tom McGrath Trust.
“tended with gossamer-like precision by Romanes, who makes a slow-burning ritual out of Sharp’s heartfelt text which, by embracing the life left behind, honours the dead with the most beautiful of tributes.”
“…although this is a high-risk play – more great flight of lyricism than conventional drama – it makes a hugely fitting coda to Muriel Romanes’s 20 years at Stellar Quines,”
“The Air That Carries the Weight’ marks a very considerable achievement, creating a distinctive and thought-provoking piece where linearity and literalism would have utterly failed to do so.”
“Cleverly framed and delicately staged on what could well be John and Jeanine Byrne’s most evocative and cleverly constructed set yet, there is an aching beauty to Stellar Quines’ latest production.”
“stellar performances and the talent on display both on-stage and backstage shows just why this award-winning Scottish theatre company is so highly regarded.”
“Isobel, played with emotional clarity by Melody Grove.”
- March 18, 2016Rebecca Sharp speaks to Janet Forsyth on BBC Radio Scotland
- March 18, 2016Melody Grove nominated for Olivier Award
- March 17, 2016Writer Rebecca Sharp talks to the Traverse about her play
- March 16, 2016Composer Pippa Murphy shares sound for The Air that Carries the Weight
- March 16, 2016Pippa Murphy
- March 7, 2016Discover more about the mystical landscape of Marion Campbell’s Argyll
- March 7, 2016The Air that Carries the Weight cast meet real life characters
- February 17, 2016Rebecca Sharp – the moment I knew I was on the right track
- June 11, 2015Rebecca Sharp visits the home of Marion Campbell
- October 10, 2014Extracts from Little Forks and The Dark Twin